Friday, January 29, 2010

Corn Chowder's gone vegan!!!!!!!!!

Soo... one of my favorite soups of all time is Panera Bread's Summer Corn Chowder.. I just LOVE it... So, when you decide to start the vegan transformation you begin noticing that more and more things that you love and crave aren't in the realm of foods that your new lifestyle allows... Summer Corn Chowder was one of those things.. it is a cream based soup... cream means milk.. milk means, blood, pus, casien.... no need to go on!!! Soo.. I happened to catch an episode of Oprah where she had a famous vegan chef named Tal Ronnen, who just came out with a book called the Conscious Cook. While on the show he cooks one of his soups and uses cashew cream.. also known as my new found love!!!!!!!!

So I decided I wanted to make a corn chowdery soup made from the cashew cream. So to make Cashew cream you need to soak raw cashews in water covered overnight... You then rinse the cashews and place them in a blender and pour in water to cover the cashews with an inch of water above them... then blend and WAA LAA.... Cashew Cream!!!!!! You then use cashew cream like you would a normal milk cream...



Cashew Cream!!! :)

Okay.. Now to the soup... So you have your cashew cream made, we need to work on the soup...
I cut potatoes, carrots, and butternut squash into cubes. Chunkily diced an onion. Then drizzled with olive oil and S&P.. (I am still new at this so I didn't really know what other seasonings to add...) Then I baked them at 400 for about 25 minutes, cooked all the way through.

My veggies roasting so nicely!!!!!!


With the veggies a roastin' I began to work on the base of the soup.. I took and added a thing of veggie broth and then added the cashew cream and boiled. Then added corn, I would have liked to add the frozen sweet corn my parents bag every year but I didn't have any so I settled for yellow and white frozen corn.

Stir.. Stir.. Stir.....

Now that your base is going all Colbie Caillat, and getting all bubbly.. Time to add the veggies!!!
I just added Tastefully Simple garlic garlic, and S&P.. I need to work on the seasonings part!


Just stir and enjoy!!!!!!!

There she is folks!!!! Delish Corn Chowder with not an animal product in sight!!!


Loves!!
Cashew Creameeney!

1 comment:

  1. this was delish... i would totally eat it again, and I would have never known that it was cashew cream, but you told me... i wonder... if you whip that cream enough would you have a butter? you should give it a try heen!

    ReplyDelete